After discussions with the Local Organizing Committee in Winnipeg and the Canadian Transplant Association Board of Directors we have come to the disappointing but necessary decision to cancel the 2020 Canadian Transplant Games.

The decision was primarily made due to uncertainty around the health and safety of our athlete participants, supporters, volunteers, families and general vulnerabilities of our community related to the Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic. Transplant recipients are in the ‘at risk’ category for the virus. To host the games at this time would be irresponsible for our organization to proceed.

We understand there are several months between now and when the games were scheduled to take place (August 10-15, 2020). We know there could be a flattening of the curve in the near future and hopefully this is true. Due to the uncertainty of the timelines of this crisis and unknown impacts on the finances of our participants as well as vendors, sponsors and partners, it makes it difficult to predict our ability to host and participate in a successful Games. There are too many unknown factors and with the inability to manage risks or mitigate them at this time, it is in everyone’s best interest that we cancel.

The CTA Board would like to acknowledge the commitment of the Local Organising Committee in all their efforts to date. They had put in an enormous amount of work to deliver a quality event, and we believe their effort thus far will be excellent groundwork when we are ready to begin planning for the next Games.

Please share this with your members and let us know if you have questions.

Thank you for your understanding. Stay safe and healthy!